Dental fillings and cosmetic dentistry
Tooth decay is a very common condition. Tooth decay or cavities is an infectious and progressive disease. The treatment for the same is the removal of the decayed part and filling of the cleaned space with dental material to prevent further decay. However, if this is not treated then the cavities can progress down to pulp and can cause pain.
What are the different materials used for fillings?
- Dental amalgam: This is one of the oldest filling materials used. The contents of the filling are mercury and silver. This has highest strength but the usage is restricted due to the black colour of the filling and possible toxicity of mercury.
- Glass ionomer filling: This comes in a liquid and powder composition. This material bonds with the tooth. They have low strength and used in areas where other filling materials cannot be used.
- Composites: They are resin-based materials that have a widespread usage. They have good strength and have great aesthetics as well. These fillings are long lasting and have the maximum usage in a dental office. They bond with the tooth and set in the mouth with the help of ultraviolet rays.
We have been efficiently doing composite fillings for more than two decades now. Composite fillings are a part of cosmetic dental treatment Cosmetic dentistry is a part of dentistry that deals with the beautification of your teeth and your smile.
You may need a cosmetic dentist if you have any of the following conditions:
- Chipped tooth
- Fractured tooth
- Yellow or stained teeth
- Missing tooth
- Misaligned teeth
- Overlapping teeth
- Protruded or retruded teeth
Dr. Dinesh Rohra and Dr. Vidisha(Menka) Rohra have been creating beautiful smiles for 15 years . They have upgraded their knowledge consistently in this field.
They are the best cosmetic dentists in Ambernath.
The various cosmetic procedures carried out at our clinic are:
Ceramic or composite veneers
Veneers are thin shell- like materials that can bond to the teeth. These are used for the treatment of chipped or fractured teeth or for closure of the gap between the teeth. Veneers are of two types:
- Composite Veneers: They can be fabricated in the clinic. They are cheaper in comparison to porcelain veneers. Minimal preparation is required for composite veneers
- Porcelain Veneers: These are fabricated in the dental laboratories. They are more durable as compared to composite veneers .They give a more natural appearance to the tooth structure. Highly resistant to chipping or staining.
Tooth whitening or bleaching
This is a process of lightening the tooth colour of the natural teeth. Often teeth become yellow or stained due to various reasons. Bleaching lightens the shade of the tooth and gives a lighter appearance. Hydrogen or carbamide peroxide is the main component of any bleaching agent. Bleaching can be done in office by the dental professional or can be done at home by a person under the guidance of the dentist.
In-office bleaching: The bleaching solution is stronger than the home bleaching kits. The bleaching process can be further accelerated with the help of light or heat or a combination of both. The teeth can be 4-5 shades lighter in the office bleaching technique. The peroxide concentration used is in the range of 15%-40%..
At-home bleaching: There can be various methods for home bleaching like
- Tray based bleaching: Your dentist can give you customised trays after taking your impression. The bleaching gel provided by your dentist can be applied on the trays and trays can be worn for a few hours during the day for up to four weeks.
- Teeth whitening pastes : These pastes are effective but have proven to be mildly abrasive .
The in-office bleaching is more effective and shows results for a longer period of time.
How can I maintain my teeth after bleaching?
Any system of bleaching that you opt for would show long-term results only when you maintain good post-operative care. This would include
1) Brushing and flossing regularly
2) Avoid foods that can cause staining like coffee, tea, carbonated drinks etc .
When there is a very little deflection from the natural anatomy, the teeth can be reshaped with the help of drill and polished later on. This procedure is known as coronoplasty.
Some people have a gummy smile or overgrown gingival due to some medications they take. This can be corrected by gingivoplasty or gingivectomy. These are minor chair-side surgical procedures that can make your smile beautiful.
If a person has prominent pigmentation on the gums, gum depigmentation can be performed. The pigmentation could be due to genetic or racial factors, smoking, or some medications. Gum depigmentation can be done and gums can be restored to the natural coral pink colour.
Sometimes due to fracture or decay, the clinical crown length is drastically reduced. This can affect the appearance of the tooth. Crown lengthening is a procedure in which the clinical crown length is increased by means of a small surgical procedure. This way the tooth is prepared to receive the crown.
Crowns and bridges
In case of badly decayed teeth or a missing tooth, crowns and bridges can be delivered and the functionality of the teeth can be restored back.
We have been performing all the cosmetic procedures at Dr. Rohras’s Mayur Dental Clinic and Implant Centre efficiently. We have made the journey of a beautiful smile easy for all our patients.
We strive for the best every day, because that’s what our patients deserve.